Saturday, February 24, 2007

Great Acadian cookbook

This is a really great Acadian cookbook -- "A Taste of Acadie" -- by Marielle Cormier-Boudreau and Melvin Gallant. It's chock-full of old-time recipes... right down to roast porcupine and eel pie! I've made several things from the book and they've turned out great. Very interesting to see variations on the same recipes from province to province... and even village to village. The French version of the book is entitled "La Cuisine Traditionelle en Acadie." I can't find the French version online, unfortunately, but I'm sure you can find it at any good French bookstore. UPDATE - Feb. 24/07 @ 11:16 p.m.: The French version is available here. Thanks to reader Jeannette McLaughlin for the info!

2 comments:

scott said...

I don't know about the road kill recipes, but I'll surely check out the more conventional stuff. Thx for the link.

Brian Cormier said...

Hehe... Well I think people actually used to hunt porcuping way back when. Weird, eh? But ya gotta do what ya gotta do! There was only one copy left at Amazon.ca last time I looked -- and none at Chapters. You'd have to look elsewhere, like Barnesandnoble.com if those don't pan out.