Monday, October 22, 2007

Low-carb recipe: Phoebe's pumpkin and sausage soup

I made this tonight and it was awesome! The photo is from the actual soup that I made. Click on the photo for a larger version.

PHOEBE'S PUMPKIN AND SAUSAGE SOUP

- 1 pound pork sausage (I used hot Italian sausage.)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped, about 5 medium (I'll definitely increase this next time - even double or triple it - sliced very thinly. The soup needed more "stuff" in it, I found.)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15-oz. can pumpkin (I used a 14-oz. can of organic pumpkin and threw in a couple of tablespoons of other pumpkin I had in the fridge. Even without that extra pumpkin, I'm sure the 14-oz. can would have been fine.)
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used organic.)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (i.e. whipping cream)
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste (I used two big pinches of kosher salt and a healthy dose of freshly ground pepper.)

In a large pot, brown the sausage along with the onion, mushrooms and garlic; drain fat. (There was no fat to drain in mine. I actually added a bit of water to avoid burning.) Add the pumpkin and broth. Add Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes. (I simmered on "low" on a small burner and stirred reasonably often.) Add the cream and water; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Adjust seasoning.

Makes 8 cups or 8 servings. Can be frozen. Per serving: 277 Calories; 21g Fat; 15g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs.

This soup was delicious! I will definitely be making it again. By using hot Italian sausage, I definitely gave it a major kick. If you don't like spicy food, you should use a mild sausage, but I really liked the bite mine has.

This recipe is courtesy of the excellent Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes website.

No comments: