Friday, November 09, 2007

Dix aiguilles / Ten Needles: Sean Collins' legacy touches us all

Back on July 10 of this year, I blogged about the passing of a young boy I'd never met. His name is Sean Collins. He's the son of Moncton East MLA Chris Collins and Lisette Richard.

Months later, I received an e-mail from Chris thanking me for the blog post and the note that I'd left for him and Lisette on the funeral home's website. It was nice to receive an acknowledgement, but I certainly hadn't expected anything, especially considering that I'd only met Chris a few times at political events and - other than a friendly nod, handshake and small talk - had never really spent any time getting to know him. But, like I said, it was nice to get the acknowledgement. He'd also told me that he was a fan of my column, which was nice to hear, too.

Shortly after that exchange of e-mails, I received an e-mail from Chris asking if I'd be willing to get involved in editing the English version of a book that was being written on Sean's life. The book was being written by Martin Latulippe. As luck would have it, I'd met Martin years ago when he was dating a young lady I used to work with.

It didn't take me long to say "yes." The French version of the book would be called "Dix aiguilles," while the English version would be called "Ten Needles." Sean received 10 needles per day during his cancer treatment, hence the name of the book.

The timeframe was short - very short - and I worked hard at getting the translation ready for printing. After being sent off to the printer with minutes to spare shortly before the deadline, we all sat and waited for the original French version of the book and the English adaptation to roll off the presses.

Yesterday, I sat proudly among Sean's family, classmates, teachers and friends at École Le Mascaret in Moncton for the launch of this much anticipated book by Martin.

I just want to say how very honoured I am for having been asked to be part of this wonderful experience.

There are many good things being said about Sean these days - and rightly so. But I also want to acknowledge Chris and Lisette for being such outstanding parents. They raised a remarkable young man whose legacy will live on forever through his words of true wisdom and the money that this book will raise to help sick kids. Their dedication to his legacy is their ongoing symbol of their love for Sean.

Author Martin Latulippe has captured Sean's passion for life beautifully. Sean was a boy with a big dream - a dream to inspire people to live each day as if it were their last. His courage, wisdom and generosity will live on forever through this wonderful and inspiring legacy called Dix aiguilles / Ten Needles.

The French or English version of the book is available for $10 each at any branch of the National Bank in New Brunswick and Jean Coutu Pharmacies in the Greater Moncton area.

Click here for the official Facebook group dedicated to the book.

(Photo credit: Daniel St. Louis)

No comments: