Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Top 10 favourite Canadian Idol performances: #2

My #2 favourite Canadian Idol performance of all time is yet another from Greg Neufeld, who makes his third appearance on my list.

Greg's rendition of Long Black Veil from last year's tribute episode to the 1960s was one that I have listened to time and time again. I love songs that tell stories and, not being that familiar with the song, I really came to know and love the song solely from this performance.

According to its Wikipedia entry (click on the title of the song above), Long Black Veil is a "country ballad about a man suspected of murder. The alleged refuses to provide an alibi, because he was having an affair with his best friend's wife at the time, and would rather die than reveal this. Subsequently, he is executed by hanging, taking their secret to the grave. The chorus describes the woman's mourning visits to his gravesite in her long black veil. The song is sung from the point of view of the executed man."

Wonderful story and song - and an excellent performance by Greg.



Check out my previously announced Top 10 entries:

#10: Jacob Hoggard - Sundown
#9: Greg Neufeld - All These Things That I've Done
#8: Kalan Porter - If You Could Read My Mind
#7: Kalan Porter - Awake In A Dream
#6: Chad Doucette - Tonight I Want To Cry
#5: Greg Neufeld - I'm Ready
#4: Shane Wiebe - The Way I Feel
#3: Theresa Sokyrka - Song for a Winter's Night

No comments: