Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas 2009 countdown: 11 days!

Today: Three of my LEAST-favourite Christmas tunes...

"This Christmas" - putrid, depressing, and sounds about as much like Christmas as the wails of mourners around a casket.



"Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney. I love Paul McCartney, but this song makes me want to jump off a bridge. Annoying synthesizers. Not very Christmas-like at all!



And my all-time least-favourite: "Driving Home for Christmas" by Chris Rea. If any song is more depressing, I don't know what is. Not so much the sentiment of the song, it's the "tune" itself.

2 comments:

Ray Hiltz said...

Ok Brian, almost with you all the way on this one. This Christmas leaves me absolutely neutral, don't like it, don't hate it; one of those numbers that you hear in the mall and only know it's a Christmas tune because it followed, Merry Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - a fav..

I Like McCartney too, but this song is like packing icing into an exposed dental cavity.

Lastly, Driving Home for Christmas is sad and I actually have it on my "Sad Christmas" mix along with Dolly's Hard Candy Christmas and Brenda Lee's Christmas Will be Just Another Lonely Day. The tempo of the song is perfect for staring through windshield wipers as they swipe slush off the window in a minor key. Just what you need when you've got to be at the folks for Christmas dinner and you're stuck behind a highway snowplough going 20kmh down the 401.

Thanks for the opportunity to talk about the Xmas tunes. My husband is from Montreal and an Opera queen, so it's 24/7 Messiah and Minuit Crétiens. While I love the classics; I really love the standards; Bing, Peggy, Doris and The Living Voices (Little Drummer Boy LP).

Cheers.

Brian Cormier said...

I love the classics, too. Those are what I start listening to very early (Aug/Sept) just for relaxation. I don't listen to the more "modern" stuff until much later. I love the Peggy Lee stuff, too. Ohhhh... I dunno if I'd be able to listen to Messiah over and over. LOL It's obviously a work of art, but it would wear after a while! LOL @ "Opera queen"... OMG that would be painful. Opera is not (!!) my thing.